Thursday, June 4, 2009

Terra Cotta Warrior Day

I am currently sitting outside at a Starbucks using their wireless and relaxing in a comfy chair. It is bustling outside. We just came from the Muslim Bazaar which was filled with street food and hawkers. I had to buy 4 pairs of underwear because I am out. Not a fun purchase.
Today we saw the Terra cotta warriors. I was overwhelmed by the massive amount and I saw less than 1/3 apparently. There are more wating to be unearthed. I highly recommend it. We stopped at a factory where they may models but I found somewhere to get it cheaper. Lunch was mediocre. The downside of having a tourguide for this leg of the trip is that he has deals with restaurants and we eat there even though they suck. I have seen way too many Westerners. I miss being a minority and look forward to going back to less known areas.
We went to a museum with thousands of ancient relics. It was small and I entertained myself by making up a game called “Guess What That Was Used For”. I would look at an artifact and guess what it was for before I looked at the sign.
Example :
Large gold bowl
My guess: Candy dish for rich people
Answer: Well, I don’t remember what it was but it wasn’t what I guessed

After that Annie and I hunted for wine but realized how overpriced everything is around where we are staying-one of the pitfalls of staying in the center of town.

Dinner was the best. It was a dumpling feast with courses and courses of dumplings with a soup at the end. Some dumplings were good, others were not. Example: Walnut dumpling that looked and tasted like walnuts.
We ordered rice wine and had drinks with Chris. An old Chinese man came over and poured us all pijou. (GROSSSSSSS Chinese liquor). We all did shots including Chris. I did a shot with my professor. Highlight. Our table had great conversation and Joe told inapproptiate stories about pooping in his pants to Chris. I haven’t laughed that hard in awhile. Actually, since Joe told me his last story.

Muslim bazaar after diner. I bought much needed underwear.
Now email and relaxing.

Love Asia.






No comments:

Post a Comment